[Healeys] Ear Plugs

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 13:38:44 MDT 2009

In a message dated 10/9/09 11:25:38 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Dr. House of the House Ear Institute lectured to my group some 15 years
> ago.
> I asked him about the best protection for shooting.  He said the simple
> yellow foam cylinders work best IF properly inserted.  Roll up lengthwise
> between thumb and forefinger then place in ear and hold deep in place
> until
> it expands. You can buy them cheaply by the hundreds on-line. If it seems
> like they are too far in, you have it right.

When I talked to my ear doctor, he said pretty much the same thing, but
added a piece of advice: reach over your head with the opposite arm and pull
the ear straight up before inserting the rolled-up ear plug. This straightens
the ear canal and makes it easy to insert the plug all the way in so when it
expands it fills the ear canal. Watch the F1 drivers put in their (Very
expensive) fitted ear pieces and they do exactly the same thing, pulling up
the
ear to insert the ear pieces.

BTW, for racing, I've recently switched to "Hearos" which I buy at my pool
supply store. They're designed to prevent swimmers ear by preventing water
from getting in, and they have the advantage of a stiff core around which are
three layers of softer rubber that actually makes the seal, so that they go
in more easily. They have the same advantage, cutting out the high-db
engine sounds of all the unmuffled race cars but still allow me to talk to my
pit
guys, and hear unusual sounds like rattles, gear noises, and so forth that
might signal a problem.