[Healeys] Ear Plugs, etc.

Ron Davies rdavies1 at cox.net
Thu Oct 8 23:03:03 MDT 2009

Steve:
Dr. House of the House Ear Institute lectured to my group some 15 years ago.
I asked him about the best protection for shooting.  He said the simple
yellow foam cylinders work best IF properly inserted.  Roll up lengthwise
between thumb and forefinger then place in ear and hold deep in place until
it expands. You can buy them cheaply by the hundreds on-line. If it seems
like they are too far in, you have it right.

I spoke with the engineers at Bose a couple of years back.  Their technology
only works well with constant, low frequency sounds.  I was working with
them to design a unit for dental offices (hand-pieces and suction) but it
didn't work. I used to shoot almost every weekend for many years.  The
custom molded ear pieces for shooting cost about $600-800.  They are
designed to allow or even enhance normal sounds so you can hear the trap and
your fellow shooters but block the instantaneous muzzle blast. SWAT uses
them so they can enhance hearing when clearing a house but not hear the
"bang" as much. I think they would be useless for driving noises. Same goes
for the "over the ear" sealed noise reduction systems designed for shooting.

I have tried the "in the ear" Bose noise cancelling ear buds in my wife's
350 Lexus (noisy on the FWY) to listen to books-on-tape.  I don't think they
help much. Probably would work fine on a plane.

So...I use the foam plugs when driving my BJ8 and it REALLY makes me less
trashed at the end of a long drive.  I can hear sirens just fine. You can
buy them in tan instead of yellow so the CHP can't see them anyway.
Hope that helps.
Ron Davies
Laguna Hills
67 BJ8
97 DB7 don't need ear plugs :-)

Has anyone used the noise-cancelling earphones from Sony, Panasonic, Bose or
Sennheiser, etc.?

How about custom ear buds which they sell through motorcycle and shooting
sources?

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena, CA