[Healeys] List notes, monitoring

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Wed Oct 7 22:45:03 MDT 2009

> posts are referred to Mark who decides if they should be posted. As far as
> monitoring, Mark runs about 30 lists and I am sure that he does not have
> time to look at each and every post. I rather believe that he does not look
> at many if any at all.

Actually it is about 75 lists, with roughly 12,000 subscribers around the world.
I've not done a count of what sort of message count the server sees on a daily
basis.  I do know, however, that at the moment I have 4,608 unread admin messages
waiting my attention,ones that are notices of spam sent to lists, user mailboxes
over quota, unreachable addresses and such.  And there are another 6,392 messages
being held by mailman due to posts being too long, non-member submissions and such.
Like the one from Mary Orrit that was held because of too many recipients, but
was forwarded to the list by Dean yesterday.  That one is handled.

So at the moment there are nearly 11,000 emails I need to read.  The exact number
changes by the second.  How long would it take YOU to deal with 11,000 messages?
How many would you actually read?  Sure, I could take the easy way out, say screw
you all and delete them, but that's not how I run Team.Net.

Remember, I do this on a volunteer basis in my spare time.  I do on occasion ask
for contributions like the recent whining disk fund drive.  That is another issue
I need to deal with soon. There may be some down time as I shuffle hardware. For
those of you who missed it, you may want to click on the donate.html link below
to go to a page with info on how to contribute.

My job would be A LOT easier if people took a second or two to pay attention to
what they are doing when they send off messages.  The majority of times something
doesn't hit the list is because it is TOO LONG.  Sure, it may only be a few lines
of new material, but a lot of mailers automatically include THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL
POST in the reply.  I do realize that it takes a long time, advanced computer
skills and several years of post graduate education to figure out how to highlight
and delete any unnecessary text from your response.

I really should write up some web pages about how it all works, how to make the
best use of Team.Net resources.  Maybe as soon as the current crop of 11,000 messages
are done - let's see, at say, 10 seconds a message, ...

mjb.