[Healeys] Reamers

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:20:07 MST 2009

Bob and Listers,

For those who aren't familiar, *by definition*, Whitworth thread forms are
those where the angle of the threads is 55 degrees versus the 60 degrees of
of most modern threads.  Therefore the five Whitworth Thread Forms
include...

*British Standard Whitworth (BSW)* - As mentioned as being used on the
generator bracket and not exclusive to the 100s.
*British Standard Fine (BSF)* - Most engine, transmission & suspension bolts
on 100s.
*British Standard Pipe Parallel (BSP)* *or (BSPP) *- Brass drain plugs and
valves, fuel and brake line fittings on most Healeys.
*British Standard Pipe Tapered (BSPT)* - As above but tapered, not used to
my knowledge on Healeys.
*British Standard Brass (BSB)*  - Used in thin walled tubing and ALL have
26TPI no matter the diameter.  The mounting post on Lucas SFT/SLT 576
driving lights would have been this thread form.

Other British Fasteners that are *NOT Whitworth* include...

*British Association (BA)* - Used in Healey instruments and fuel pumps.  47
1/2 degree angle of the threads.
*British Standard Cycle (BSC)* - Used on a lot of British motorcycles and
most but NOT ALL threads are 26 TPI.  The angle of the threads is 60degrees.
Wikipedia lists BSC as Whitworth and they are WRONG.
*Cycle engineers Institute (CEI)* - Older cycle thread superseded by BSC.
The angle of the threads is 60 degrees.

The following two are what the British switched to after moving from the
Whitworth standard.

*Unified Coarse (UNC)* -  Identical to American SAE Coarse and *
Interchangeable*.  The angle of the threads is 60 degrees.
*Unified Fine (UNF)* - Identical to American SAE Fine and *Interchangeable*.
The angle of the threads is 60 degrees.

Cheers,

Curt