[Healeys] Trailering/AAA Flatbed Danger

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Mon Nov 23 18:54:34 MST 2009

My experience with a Jerr-Dan has two problems.  At the front the chains
will come into contact with the front shroud if they are hooked around
the bottom spring perch on each side.  Using foam rubber pipe insulation
over the chains will help to protect it.  Better yet, installing towing
eyes like Bill Bolton and others supply and pulling on those will not
even let them get close.
At the rear, the tailpipes (BT7) will scrape and the license plate will
get bent unless a ramp is made with 2 x 8's or 10's to raise the rear a
bit right before it hits the aluminum bed.  The more laden they are with
drive train and such, the more they will be a problem.
A friend of mine has the Jerr-Dan and has transported several Healeys to
and from lister Shawn Miller's shop.
Charlie

Mark LaPierre wrote:
> What did Hagerty say when you asked them about using a particular
> flatbed company when the
> time comes.   Its not uncommon at all for the towing to be handled
> like AAA did,  sorry to say.
> The closest is the cheapest for them.
>
> I have tailored my Healey twice so far and it seems like those flat
> beds can extend pretty
> far back to accommodate our low risers.   But like everything else
> there is bound to be
> different styles out there.
>
> Mark

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mgcharlie.vcf]