[Healeys] wiring problems

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 15:08:04 MST 2009

The white/black wire that goes to the master switch is used to ground the points when the switch is 'off' with a points-ignition car. In this case, the only time you'd see current is with the ignition switch on and the points closed (it would pulse as you cranked the engine). When the master switch is turned to 'on,' the white/black switch will be an open circuit to the coil.

Points switch primary ignition current to ground 'downstream' of the coil. A Pertronix will switch current to the coil 'upstream' of the coil, so you need an alternate path to ground. I used the white/black lead, but moved it on the master switch to the same terminal that switches the battery to ground. Works a treat.

Did your Pertronix-switched ignition ever work (doesn't sound like it).

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Hi List,
After a summer of work and no play today was supposed to be the big day when I
fired up the healey for the first time. Gassed her, checked everything again
and again and cranked her over,( I had done this before to get oil pressure)
not even a whimper came from her. I quickly ascertained there was no fire from
the coil, nor was there any going to it via the black & white wire from the
master switch, I have current in the b&w wire when it leaves the junction in
the trunk but none when it reaches the firewall junction, this is a brand new
loom as is everything else, petronix ignition, negative ground. Could that
wire be somehow broken between the trunk and engine compartments? Has anyone
else had such a problem? Many thanks as always.
Brad Holden
BJ8 in Jackman, Maine