[Healeys] Uprating early 3000 disk brakes

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 19 21:36:18 MST 2009

Patrick:

If you want to upgrade to type 16 Girlings - (don't know about the Capri
callipers) - the best way to do it in my opinion would be to convert the
front end to BJ8 specs with salvaged BJ8 parts.  This would include the
swivel axles, their associated dust covers (back plates), discs, callipers,
bearings, plus other small bits.  The brake master cyl. should be changed to
the BJ8 spec - 7/8" bore as well to have a properly balanced brake system,
and as you plan, a servo (of the correct boost ratio) should be included.
There is a safety issue if you attempt to mix and match brake parts, in my
opinion.

A patient perusal of the factory parts list would show you exactly what
parts were changed when the factory did the brake upgrade.  The best parts
list for this would be the BJ7 BJ8 manual - the BJ7 has the same type 14
calliper set up as your early 3000.  Be aware that the earlier brake set-up
had a servo optional from sometime in the production run of the 3000 MKII BT
/ BN7 through the BJ7, and then standard on the very first few BJ8's - and
it's a different servo than the later one.  (both the servo and the brake
master cyl. (5/8" bore) are matched to the type 14 calliper on the earlier
car).

Is it worthwhile?  I have a BT7 tri-carb - no servo, and a late BJ8.
Nothing wrong with the brakes on either car - admittedly, the BJ8 has better
brakes.  Would I change the early car over - haven't so far - doubt that I
ever would.  If you haven't already done so, try and drive a BJ8 for long
enough to form an opinion.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb