[Healeys] Dave Dougan's overdrive part 2

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Nov 15 10:21:52 MST 2009

Uh oh ... here comes another 'oils' thread ;)

re: "... non detergent formulation. This formulation allows contaminants
to settle out and not be continually re-circulated, thus hastening
damage..."

Though I defer to Dave's knowledge and experience, this 'theory' never
made sense to me, mostly because a properly cleaned and assembled
gearbox and O/D should not have any contaminants.  They are pretty much
sealed and won't suffer any combustion byproducts or other
contamination.  When I've changed my gearbox and O/D oil, there was
always a minuscule amount of brass 'shake' suspended in the oil which
sparkled prettily in the sunlight.  I guessed this was an amount of
brass about the size of a B-B that had been ground into infinitesimally
small particles.  When rubbing the 'shakey' oil between my fingers I
could feel absolutely no grit whatsoever--it felt just like virgin oil.
There was usually a very small amount of ferrous metal on the magnets in
the O/D strainer, even with ashless dispersant-- aka 'detergent' oil, so
the heavier stuff was settling out anyway.

Given that brass is a relatively soft metal, and most high-quality
greases are oil thickened with finely-ground metals--molybdenum,
lithium, etc.--I believe the finely ground brass causes no harm at all
and may, conceivably, be a lubricant and/or protectant in its own
right.  I feel the only reason to even change the oil is because the oil
molecules will be sheared over time and may lose some viscosity; though
the fact that modern differentials call for never even changing the oil
may belie that belief.

I have over 165K miles on my gearbox and O/D with one rebuild on the
gearbox only and they both operate quite well.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net