[Healeys] Ivory white, Old English White, and Pale Ivory

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 10:35:31 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/13/09 8:49:30 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Ivory is not old english.
> Buttercup v st

Begging your pardon, but the earlier posters are correct: Ivory White and
Old English (never Olde English) White are the same color. AFAIK, Austin and
Morris used different names for the same paint code, and sometime after
Healey assembly was moved from Longbridge to Abingdon, the naming got
rationalized.
HOWEVER, Pale Ivory is NOT the same as Ivory White. Pale Ivory, in fact is
a yellower white somewhere between Ivory White (often described as a "creamy
white") and Primrose. Incidentally, Ivory White/Old English White was a
very common color among English cars, and was used as the standard white on
Jaguars of the same period. My 1960 Jag MkII and my 59 BN7 had identical shades
of white.
Gary