[Healeys] Silicone DOT5 brakefluid for the 100

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Nov 9 16:48:00 MST 2009

We're really flogging this one again.
However I will state that we always completely rebuild all brake components,
cylinders, hoses, everything, flush and blow out the old lines to introduce
DOT 5 Silicone fluid to any system we work on. One particularly noteworthy
occurrence took place about a year after we did a complete job.
It was on a Mk 1 Sprite and the owner had taken the car to a local garage
for a regular service. Some young employee in the shop had topped up all
fluids, including the hydraulic reservoir. He'd use DOT 3 fluid for the top
up. Within 2 weeks the owner was experiencing poor clutch pedal, sluggish
return and slight leakage at the clutch slave cylinder.
We found the problem, completely flushed everything again with silicone
fluid, rebuilt the slave and it's been all right now for the last 5 years.

Rich Chrysler