[Healeys] Silicone DOT5 brakefluid for the 100

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Nov 9 15:28:09 MST 2009

Did you use DOT 5 or DOT5.1? DOT5.1 does not have any advers effects on
systems with DOT4 previously.
If the rubbers do react they do so rather quickly. They may go soft and
may not leak if not enough pressure is applied but can fail when high
pressure is exerted.
Appearantly it does not always happen when the system is thoroughly
cleaned, according to some experiences of the list, although it is not
clear if this concerns DOT5.1 or DOT5. I have seen several instances
when DOT 4 was replaced with DOT5, that the brake system failed
spectacularly and the need of a rebuild of the system /replacement of
rubber parts was eminent. I would not take any chances with my brake system.
Kees Oudesluijs