[Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration - solved

Ed's Shop shop at justbrits.com
Sat May 16 13:07:24 MDT 2009

<<It was the universal joints.  When I pulled the drive shaft I found 1/16"
of play in the rear universal.>>

What I wrote Peter on 4/30 at 5:54AM<G>:

<quote>
That said, I think (and what I would myself try FIRST),
<<-  U-joints on the driveshaft - I don't feel any play in
the drive shaft.   What should I be looking for here?>>

Same "rule" applies to u-joints only WORSE.  They CAN
'feel' fine in sutu and STILL not be 'good'.  I WOULD
R & R them FIRST.
</quote>

<<After spending about three hours trying to get the old ones
out using the hammer method shown in the BMC shop manual>>

I have NEVER been able to do that either, Peter<VBG>!!!  That
IS why I use vice and a couple of sockets<G>!!!  POC.

<<I sent the drive shaft out to have the u-joints replaces and
the shaft rebalanced.>>

Excellent.  BUT did they put the u-joints in CORRECTLY
(so the zerk can be easily greased)????
VERY common mistake to get them wrong.  See the poor pics
in "Various Articles"-->'The "infamous" LBC U-joint'.

Ed
Please visit MY site at:		www.justbrits.com

PS:  I KNOW I need better pics<G> but I need a bad shaft
to do first<G>!!
PPS: Almost forgot, I always have shafts balanced also.