[Healeys] Rattling noise on hard acceleration - solved

Peter Schauss schauss at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 16 11:48:09 MDT 2009

It was the universal joints.  When I pulled the drive shaft I found 1/16" of
play in the rear universal.  After spending about three hours trying to get
the old ones out using the hammer method shown in the BMC shop manual I sent
the drive shaft out to have the u-joints replaces and the shaft rebalanced.

Not only has the noise disappeared but so has the vibration I was getting at
60-65 mph.  Add another item to the list of things that can cause "scuttle
shake".

Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7
1980 MGB