[Healeys] Exhaust Manifold Fasteners

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:45:34 MDT 2009

Bob -

I'm wondering, are your down pipe flex hoses in good shape?  If not that
might be causing the unscrewing.

I use brass nuts only, with anti-seize, torqued down about 40 ft lbs.  The
trick is to ease them on in succession like when you put on a wheel or a
cylinder head, which will help center and compress the gasket evenly.   I
also ALWAYS use brand new brass nuts and gaskets every time I do this. I
also replace the studs if the show signs of corrosion.  throw away any old
brass nuts you have.

Doing it this way I've never had a problem... last time I tightened my nuts
on the BJ8 was probably in 1995.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1