[Healeys] Exhaust Manifold Fasteners

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue May 12 08:11:26 MDT 2009

Listers,

I've had an ongoing problem with sealing my BJ8's exhaust manifold to the
downpipes (the nuts keep loosening and/or the gaskets blow out).  I now believe
the problem is due, at least in part, to my using flatwashers under the brass
nuts (the holes on the downpipe flanges are too big for the nuts alone).  What
do others use to get a good, secure connection here?  Brass nuts alone?  Brass
nuts with lockwashers (my probable next attempt)? Steel nuts with or without
washers?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Bob
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net