[Healeys] Westminster diff

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Wed Mar 25 14:59:58 MST 2009

A good question Stephen, particularly considering that cars is New Zealand
seem to last for ever as they do not need to use salt on the roads.
The problem, as I understand, it is that the New Zealand government, in an
effort to get rid of older cars that tend to linger in peoples driveways and
back yards, instituted a system of "continuous registration". Under this
system any car which is not continuously licensed for the road must be
brought up to current safety standards before it can be re registered.
There is a facility wherein a registration can be "put on hold" for a period
of time, but this has to be renewed regularly to remain in force.
The "Westy" had probably not been registered for several years and the cost
of having it brought up to current standards and the associated engineers
inspection would have made getting it back on the road prohibitively
expensive.

Michael Salter
100 (1953) #174
AHX12 (1953)