[Healeys] Tires

Mr. Bill bn1 at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 11 16:33:20 MST 2009

Gentlemen and List,

When this "old tire" thread went around a couple of months ago, I had a
question but I wanted to do some research first.  I have since talked to
some longtime Healey friends and a bunch of 240Z maniacs I know.  It was
agreed by everyone I talked to that a tire used all the time does not
age the same as a tire sitting dormant on a shelf.  Living in Southern
California, my Healey is driven all the time.  My one owner 240Z has
been sitting a long time and, I agree, those tires are trash.  Because
of the lightness of those two cars, I get excellent mileage and have run
tires for 10 years on them.  I have never had a failure or even a bulge
to indicate delamination was about to happen.  Are we all just lucky?

Bill