[Healeys] tires

TERRY COLL coll44 at msn.com
Mon Mar 9 16:35:54 MST 2009

All,

I bought Kumho Power Star 758 tires (165-80R-15) for my Healey a couple of months ago but have not yet installed them.  I never considered tube vs tubeless tires and do not recall it being discussed in this forum.  So today I just finished reading the April Popular Mechanics and in it Mike Allen (auto columnist) strongly warns about putting tubes in tubeless tires:

1.  tubeless tires are ribbed inside and not finished to accept a tube which can wear out the tube
2.  tube will stiffin the sidewall of the tire giving a poor ride and altering handling characteristics
3.  tubeless tire with a tube will run hotter and potentially fail.

So down to the garage I went and found out that yes, the tires are tubeless.  Anyway, I'm thinking of calling Tire Rack and see if they'll take them back.  Any thoughts?

Terry Coll

'64 BJ8 (with 60 spoke wire wheels)

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.