[Healeys] No Power

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 14:06:42 MDT 2009

John,

Note the phrase I used was "violent AGREEMENT."

Seems everybody agrees on one thing: SU pumps require regular maintenance. I suspect if the pumps' reliability wasn't an issue then SU wouldn't have added first capacitors, then diodes and, finally, electronics (to completely replace the points). Some people may think rebuilding the pump every few thousand miles is routine, others, like me, think they ought to go longer than that without maintenance.

I worked on them for years in order to get them to last, without fail, for my annual 3-4K mile road trip. After servicing, the pump might go 3K miles or it might go 15K miles. If the pump gave up the ghost in the middle of nowhere or when passing a logging truck on a windy mountain two-lane it could be particularly unnerving. If the pump was working well I was loathe to open it but, in hindsight, maybe I should have. I'm also not convinced filing or sanding the points is a good idea except in a pinch; better to replace the points IMO. I always adjusted the diaphragm per the book, and that may have been part of the problem .

Just because other cars used them is not exactly an endorsement, either; remember British cars in general--especially older ones--have less than stellar reputations for reliability (the pumps may be part of it, along with wiring, etc.).

Since I've replaced my BJ8's ignition points with an Ignitor and the fuel pump with an SU electronic, my BJ8's drivetrain is nearly as reliable as a modern car's; and I can concentrate on tasteful upgrades and fixing whatever else breaks or wears out.

YMMV.

bs

Bob

I think that I am one of the people that you are in violent disagreement
with. Well at least up to a point.

<snip>

Regards

--