[Healeys] No Power

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 1 13:34:43 MDT 2009

Bob

I think that I am one of the people that you are in violent disagreement
with. Well at least up to a point.

I drove old cars as my main car as much as 55 years ago fitted with SU
pumps. These were mainly Morris Minors and A-H 100s plus a few 'odd
balls'. I now drive a 100 as a classic car. In all those years I have
rarely had problems with pump points if certain care is taken and no, I
don't regularly clean the points.

On Morris Minors a 'L' type pump was normally fitted and this had a
single pair of point . These did not give much trouble and at one time
about every fourth car on the British road was a Morris Minor.

However when the HP (High Pressure) pump started to be used with same
single points there were some problems. This gave reliability problems
on early 100s if these had the early AUA 36 pump with a single contact
fitted. The official service replacement was the AUA 56 and this had
double points. From that time on I personally never had a problem. Here
however I have to admit that at that time I did not own my own 100 but
did look after a colleague's who was better off than me.

Later on the pump was superseded again but was virtually the same but
with a raised cap to allow for a capacitor. Later still, as you know,
they replaced this with a diode.

If SU electric pumps were not reasonably reliable then how is it that
cars made in large numbers such as the Mini and prestige cars such as a
Jaguar continued to use them?

Back to my own recent experience, the only problem I have had over the
last ten years or so is the over tight diaphragm as discussed previously
and a contact riveting coming loose from its spring leaf. In this case
the contact stayed half in place but by doing so stopped the second pair
of contacts taking over but made poor contact itself. This was clearly a
manufacturing fault.

As you perhaps now realise I have a high regard for SU pumps if they are
set up correctly. I don't say that they are perfect and they do appear
to attract a lot of bad publicity. I believe that a lot of the problems
might be with the people who supply them! Perhaps they should provide a
full test certificate with each one?

Regards

--
John Harper