[Healeys] Rear Brake Problem

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 10:30:44 MDT 2009

re: " any suggestions about installing these on the reat brakes."

- observe current installation (take picture if necessary)
- clean all internal parts thoroughly with brake cleaner
- back out the adjusting screw--collapse the adjuster wedges--all the way
- get new felts for the standoff pillars if necessary
- put a drop of heavy oil or light grease on the end of the felts
- install the springs--there's some evidence the original springs are different lengths, but replacements are the same. If yours are different lengths refer to the shop manual for correct placement
- make sure the shoe ends are 'opposite'--i.e. there's a square hole on one end for the 'hook' on the slave cylinder and a solid end on the other--make sure the solid end butts against the backside of the cylinder (someone on the BCF had 'hole-to-hole' and it caused binding )
- install the new shoes with springs and make sure the lining surface is orthogonal to the backplate (not sure what the scientific method is to accomplish this--I use a carpenter's square and mark one eyeball)
- make sure the shoes are centered; i.e. the lining edges are equidistant from the edge of the backplate all around
- clean all internal parts thoroughly with brake cleaner and wipe down the shoes with clean cloth
- clean inside of drum and install
- adjust with parking brake off (maybe even detach the cable--I don't and haven't had any issues)

bs

I reported earlier about a driver side rear brake problem on my 67 3000. When
backing up, the brake would tighten up. Went away when driving forward. Had
not used the foot or emergency brake prior to this. Removed the drum and
found that part of the brake shoe lining had fallen off the shoe and was
lodging in between the remaining shoe liner and drum. Cleaned out the liner
pieces and works fine now.

Ordered a set on new brake shoes and was
wondering if there are any suggestions about installing these on the reat
brakes.

Thanks,

Jon

Healeys at autox.team.net