[Healeys] Thermostat discussion - Part 2

Bob Johnson bjsbj8 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 11:25:12 MDT 2009

I agree with Steve about "empirical" results. My experience was going
along these lines: In normal driving conditions of 35-65 mph my car
regularly registered very near to 190 degrees. I wanted it cooler
because literature indicated that the car theoretically had a 180
thermo. I deduced that this was what the design spec was. So, I bought
a new 180 thermo. Temps ran exactly the same. OK, time for a test. Put
the old thermo in a pot of water on the stove with my wife's candy
thermometer. When the thermometer read 180 the thermostat was fully
open. Humph! Put the new thermostat in the water, fully open at 180.
After many (2-3) seconds of deep pondering it became obvious that the
problem is the temp gauge. If it ever bothers me enough, I will adjust
the gauge. My suggestion to others who are bothered by engine temp not
being what you expect: Test the thermostat. It very well could be OK
and it is simply the gauge that is off.

Bob Johnson
BJ8