[Healeys] Thermostat discussion - Part 2

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Jul 16 18:06:09 MDT 2009

Dick, I did have a problem with my engine constantly running "hot" during my
trip to Lake Tahoe and back in '02.  The gauge had been rebuilt just prior
to that and I would have thought it would be calibrated.  But after the
aggravation experienced on the Tahoe trip I decided to bite the bullet and
pull the gauge out of the car to check it with the sensor in boiling water.
I found the gauge was reading about 10 - 12 degrees too high, so I
recalibrated it by pulling off the needle and repositioning it between the
two little dots at 212 (I live at sea level).  Most of my "overheating"
problems were then solved.  But I still see the gauge push toward 200 on a
warm afternoon in the summer around here, and the gauge will vary with the
ambient conditions, as it always has.
When we were coming across the California desert last summer, returning from
Conclave in San Diego, the ambient temperature was 115F - 118F.  For hours,
my BJ8 ran at 212 on the gauge, but never went over that.  Actually,
comparing that with modern cars that run a much higher pressure in the
cooling system and some with normal operating temp of 212 and up, the Healey
didn't do too badly.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry