[Healeys] Gland

Healeyguy healeyguy at aol.com
Sat Jan 31 22:55:58 MST 2009

After the continued discussion of the balance tube gland I decided to open two head gasket sets that I purchased in October at Hershey Auto Swap Meet (Auto Jumble). They are marked Payen, Reference Number HS1A270 MK.1, fitting A90 1949-1952 and Austin Healey 100 1953-1956.  These are older sets but I don't know when they were manufactured. They include the "balance tube gland" made of the mysterious gray twine like material that has been conveniently shaped into an appropriately sized doughnut. The material can not be readily unwound and appears to be compacted together under pressure or with an adhesive or both.  I remember this type from years ago.  During my regular search on eBay for Healey and 1946 American Flyer bits (another crazy hobby), I noticed a head set under Item number: 130284225605. (US eBay) Looks like the same as the sets I have. The gland is evident in one of the auction photos although not a close up. If some one needs a photo (not sure why) I can send one.....
Aloha
Perry

 ah at jharper.demon.co.uk writes:

Alan

I have to accept what Perry has said because he clearly has the
experience but I was going on original BMC gasket sets or Payen sets
produced when the cars were young.

Fortunately I have not so far had to use gasket sets made later than
these early ones but I no doubt will have to sometime. It sounds as if
they are inferior to the originals?

Regards