[Healeys] Gland

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:06:39 MST 2009

Keith,

The Gland you are referring to is in fact a length of resin impregnated
twine that is wrapped around the balance tube and is compressed when the
plate for the balance tube is attached, thus forming the seal.  Yes I know
it looks like a sealing ring on the tube, but once used they cannot usually
be reused.  If you try to remove the ring the twine will unravel, and no
more ring.

Original gasket kits (NOS) used to supply this twine but newer kits do not.
One substitute is water pump packing twine but the last time I ordered some
from my usual restoration parts supplier what they sent me was much too
thick and stiff to use.

I do need to find some myself for several manifolds that I need to finish,
so when I do I'll let you and the list know.

Anyone else out there know of a supplier of the thin special twine I
descrbed?

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{) '72 RWA Midget, '06 Cooper S