[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 3, Issue 52

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 15:21:05 MST 2009

In a message dated 1/25/09 11:17:48 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Look at the head.  My car originally had the thermo-choke and at the
> left front of the head is an opening for the sensor switch, which I have
> removed and replaced with a blanking plate.
>
> Larry Swift

No one has mentioned that this thermal choke was standard on all series one
E-Types and Mark IIs. If you need spare parts, XKs Unlimited in California
stocks them. The problem with them is that if a car is shut down after only a
few
minutes of running (like from the overnight stay motel to the gas station --
ask me how I know -- the car will refuse to start because it's already got all
the gas it needs, but it's not warm enough yet to switch off the thermal
choke.

The process was interesting. From memory (so don't holler at me), the late
100-sixes had a standard pull choke with a knob under the dash board. The
first
3000s got the "Jaguar" thermal choke, but people must have complained about
them, because by mid-summer a dealer bulletin had gone out to bypass the
thermal
switch and replace it with a toggle switch. Next in the process, the choke in
its new position in the dash board was installed, but the run of engine
blocks still in use had the opening in the front for the thermal sensor, so
that
opening was blanked off with a triangular plate held with three screws.
Finally,
after the run of blocks was exhausted by about October 59 or so, the new
blocks didn't have the blanking plate any longer.
Best,
Gary