[Healeys] BJ8 starter removal

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 08:21:29 MST 2009

Hi, Jorge -
I raise the car to remove the bottom bolt from the starter.  The only way to
get at it from the top is bending over the fender, and that is most
uncomfortable even if you can reach the bolt/nut with wrenches.

The ground for the white/red wire to the solenoid from the ignition switch
is by the fastening of the solenoid to the chassis.  This circuit activates
the internal solenoid pull-in coil to connect the battery directly to the
starter.  These heavy connections are not grounded to the chassis at the
solenoid (the ground is at the starter attach bolts), but if the solenoid
attachment to the chassis is loose, the solenoid itself may not work via the
ignition switch.  You can use the button on the back of the solenoid to
bypass the solenoid coil and operate the starter whether the solenoid is
attached to the chassis or not.   Assuming that all the external connections
are clean and tight, the starter should operate when the button is pressed
(make sure the car is in neutral!).  If not, then the starter is probably
faulty, or the internal solenoid battery/starter contacts are.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA