[Healeys] Early BN7 MKII heat shield

John McElrath linsley46 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 14:17:49 MST 2009

According the the restoration guide the early BN7 MKIIs had a head shield
that had asbestos on one side only like the MK Is.  I am restoring a 1961
BN7 MK II that based on thet build date was the third or fourth one made.
It has the later heat shield that based on the condition must a have been on
the care for many, many, many years.  So far I have not see one of the heat
shields that should have been on my car at the factory.  When I look closely
at the pictures on pg 67 of Robson's book the big healey, the engine shown
is an early one with the small balace tube - you can tell because the
balance tube has the built in retainers for the gas line between the first
two carbs.  The picture on Pg 66  (also and early car) does not indicate
that the top of the heat shield has a asbestos cover - at least I don't see
it with my magnifying glass - you can't see the bottom one either.

I am intersted in seeing some pictures of an early heat shield if anyone has
one that can be photographed.  Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks
John