[Healeys] Stator Tube Removal

tomleavy at comcast.net tomleavy at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 11:26:36 MST 2009

Hi Dan-
I'm on the back end of a nut and bolt resto of BJ7 #88.B
You will need to disconnect the wiring harness from the other end of the tube-
which passes through the steering box. This will entail draining the steering
box (which will keep weeping fluid after it has drained, so place something to
catch the fluid and keep it there!). At the end of the tube there is a
compression nut and olive. The wiring passes through these when you pull it
out. An important thing to note is that you need to connect a string or thin
wire to the wiring harness, so that when you pul the wires through the
steering tube, you will also pull the "snake". For reinstallation, you just
connect the wiring to the string, and pull it back through towards the front
of the car. If you have had any steering box fluid leaks, I suggest refilling
with Penrite lube to minimize or prevent leaks.

There are more detailed instructions here on the list somewhere, but that
should give you an idea of what is entailed. Good Luck!

Tom