[Healeys] Roadster windshield new glass installation - Part 1

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 08:41:25 MST 2009

I posted this previously, but the limitations of the list software
rejected it for being too large, so it will be in two installments.

I just wanted to pass on the method that I used in installing the new
windshield in my BT7 Mk.II.
This has come up before on this list with people having problems with
the rubber that wraps around the glass.  I got the new glass, rubber,
and the corner bracket set from Moss.  When I got everything together I
started by measuring to make sure that the new glass with rubber wrapped
around it would go into the channels of the windshield frame.  The Moss
rubber was way too thick and would have never fit.  You really only want
the slightest compression of the rubber, if any.
 I looked for other alternatives and found some stuff called rubber
glass setting tape at Restoration Specialties.  I've seen their stand at
Hershey and Carlisle flea markets many times.  Here is a link to their
catalog:
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2008%20catalog%20pdf/2008%20Catalog%20ebook.pdf

The glass setting tape is on page 32 of the catalog.  What is nice is
that they have different thicknesses of this rubber.  I needed the 3/64
thick material.  When I started to install it, I found that the rubber
was different than most rubber.  I suspect that it is only partially
vulcanized because you could bend it and it would pretty much stay
bent.  At the miter joints that I made at the corners and at the butt
joint where it met itself it could be squashed together to self seal.
Even though it would bend and sort of stay that way, I glued it to the
glass with contact cement, which meant that when I tapped the frame on I
didn't have to worry about holding the rubber in place at all.

Charlie Baldwin

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mgcharlie.vcf]