[Healeys] Rear brake cylinder removal/install

andy pole ampole at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 17:21:51 MST 2009

Tim

I assume I got it right as it looks good and all fitted together, heres how I
did it and it was simple; first put the cylinder thru the hole in the back
plate with the handbrake lever pins located in the recesses, next take the
spring / bent plate with the fingers/ hooks and slot it in from the handbrake
lever side. There is enough movement in the slotted hole to move the cylinder
up and down to get it in. Next take the flat plate and start to push it over
the spring plate until you cannot move it by hand, then use a drift to drive
it until the cutouts drop over the fingers and lock the spring plate as shown
here (you may need to gently tap one plate and then the other from each end as
they start to lock, and be careful against the soft cylinder):

http://www.austin-healey3000.com/brakes.htm

the rubber seal is then put with the hole thru the handbrake lever and then it
is placed over and behind the larger flat lock plate. It fits nicely in the
recess behind the flat plate. If I got it wrong it fits this way and wasnt too
hard to do, hopefully some one will confirm.
 I guess it would be harder to disassemble them, but we take more care
assembling with nice new painted parts! it must be difficult to drive the flat
plate back over as the fingers have sprung up to lock it in, and I dont plan
on doing it!!!

cheers Andy