[Healeys] Rear seals

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 17:55:04 MST 2009

andy pole wrote:

snip ...
<good stuff from Andy>
... snip

The "reversed axle as puller method" works, but you may need a spacer
between the axle and the housing or a puller to complete the extraction
of the bearings.  You'll need a press to get the bearings out of the
hubs (and the new bearings in).

I warmed the hubs with new bearings in an oven before installing.  I
also applied dry ice to the end of the housing, which caused the metal
to emit a loud humming noise, sounding almost like a large tuning fork.
I stopped, being afraid of altering the metal structure but was able to
tap the bearings on with an appropriately sized metal tube.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net