[Healeys] Rear seals

andy pole ampole at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 2 15:40:14 MST 2009

Bob A quick run thru (from memory) is after doing the normal stuff such as
draining axle and removing wheels, you will need to remove hub extension,
brake drum. The 5 nuts holding the hub extensions on are not handed but have
small shoulders which may of been rounded by a previous owner.  The half shaft
is held onto the inner hub by one screw, and probably sticking with the
gasket. Pull out the half
shaft.http://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=5130439
The large 8 sided nut will be the hard bit as you will have to buy a special
socket or make one, bend the lock tab before undoing. Also these nuts are
handed so dont strip them by turning the wrong
way.http://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=5130440 The
easiest way to pull the inner hub and bearing is to get the half shaft and
turn it backwards so that the domed end is against the hub and the studs going
thru the holes. Use the nuts or 5 non locking nuts to tighten the halfshaft
against the hub. The hub will then be pulled off the axle as you tighten. When
you remove the bearing note the way the oil seal is fitted in the recess under
as it is backwards to the way you probably imagine. As the factory manual
states you need to have the bearing height correct against the gasket, read up
on this. Heres the hub:
http://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=5132613&prev=1

As you can see I also turned a piece of nylon down to press in the oil seal
without damaging it. I also had to replace some studs, heres a pic using a
vice and socket to press a new one in, and also a photo of the axle without
hub:
http://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=5132641&prev=1
http://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo.jsp?photoID=5131540&prev=1

There is also an o ring that fits around the edge of the distance piece.

Its easy with the correct equipment. There is also some part numbers for the
bearing and seal on my website.

Refitting is the reverse, as they say in the books!!! I'm sure someone will
put me right if I got anything wrong.

hope this helps Andy