[Healeys] Choke cable question

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Sat Feb 28 13:19:25 MST 2009

Len Hartnett wrote:

>Steve:  Is that a standard Healey choke cable?  If so, twisting the knob
>clockwise locks it in place.  No wedge needed.  If it is not a Healey cable,
>then the wedge looks like it will work for you.

Len,

I decided not to replicate the BJ8 setup as I didn't like the Rube Goldberg look of it. Also, I wanted an absolutely positive push-back as well as 2 cables coming through the previous hole for a neater appearance. I'm used to the choke being under the dash - no problem there.

I'd also read from folks on this forum the locking mechanism on that cable is iffy or non-existant, perhaps on the replacements. So I went with a VW replacement manual choke kit from Kragen. There was too much friction in the metal housings so I replaced them with teflon-lined bicycle cable housings which I highly recommend even for the stock setup. However this lack of friction kept the cable from staying all the way out so I had to install the lock ratchet.

It works by pulling the clutch straight out. Rotating is only necessary to retract it.

More than you wanted to know, but there you have it.
--

Steve Gerow