[Healeys] Air conditioning?

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 15:03:16 MST 2009

Sorry Ed but you are the victim of some poor information. It is
entirely legal for a certified technician here in the US to service
and recharge an R-12 system. The only time it becomes illegal is if an
uncertified person does the work, or the R-12 isn't recovered, or if
the system is leaky.
Conversion to R-134 (refridgerant of choice for autos) is often cheap
and easy. The oil in the system will either have to be changed to an
ester oil or PAG oil will have to be added. The fittings will have to
be converted to 134 style to prevent contamination.  Usually a new
reciever drier or accumulator will be needed.  I converted my '76 GMC
to 134 and it was a breeze.  I replaced the existing bad compressor,
added a new receiver drier new fittings and I was good to go.
Rick
-Who used to teach AC certification classes.

Sent from my iPhone