[Healeys] 60 BN7 Tranny Problem and cost??

scott willis ahpowered at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:21:01 MST 2009

Hi folks,
Been away for awhile...so I took out the tranny. It was much lighter than
feared once I started wrestling it. Unfortunately the problem engaging was not
the shifter. I do not have the funds to do a full blown tranny repair right
now so I may just buy and gather parts slowly.

My Brit mechanic said it would be an ugly repair. 1st gear is toast. I suppose
that is why it also makes so much noise in reverse. It needs a 1st gear and
laygear. I am fearful of the laygear cost. Anyone have any estimates on repair
for a side shift BN7 tranny? Core swaps? Also, any ideas on how to save money
on parts?

He says around $2k complete rebuild with labor with laygear if I can find the
laygear. He says there may be an issue with buying the 1st gear by itself
(Moss outer ring $283.95) and not buying the 1st gear assembly (Moss $535). He
says some aftermarket parts dont fit and the gear may not fit the shaft well.
Dunno. He said he thought laygear would be $500-$600 but from where should we
buy?

I don't really understand the tranny so speak like you are speaking to my 7
year old daughter. Please respond to ALL or include my swillis at insightbb.com
so I get the message at an email I check more regularly.

I hope you all are getting ready for warm Healey weather. Coming soon...

Cheers,

Scott Willis
Mashed 60 BN7 AH Club USA
59 MGA