[Healeys] Lightened flywheels

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:52:18 MST 2009

The following only applies to 6 cylinder cars, of which I have some
experiance, which all have flywheels that weigh 28-30 pounds. It's all
realtive. Do you drive your prized and pampered Healey like an old woman, or
do you enjoy spirited driving in a hot sexy sportscar? With the first
scenario, you will never notice the difference if 4 or 5 pounsds are shaved
off. You might notice some difference if 8 or 9 pounds are shaved - but, I
suspect not much of a difference because you drive like an old woman. In the
second case, you will appreciate the new found crispness in the acceration of
your hot sexy sportscar.

In the old days (when we "chopped" flywheels) , material was machined off the
back side which only resulted in 3 or 4 pounds being removed. Today, we
scallop out and around the pressure plate on the front side and can loose
about 7 or 8 pounds. Taking a little more off the back side and you can get
down close to 9+ pounds. The effect is the same as kicking that 200 pound
person out of the passenger seat of your Healey and then doing some spirited
driving. AND ENJOYING IT MUCH MORE.  Just my 2 cents.  Richard Mayor