[Healeys] Gear reduction starter installation saga continues

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Tue Feb 3 19:08:15 MST 2009

In a message dated 2/3/2009 8:56:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
fortee9er at yahoo.com writes:

The top  bolt no problem but the bottom bolt not so good there is very little
room for  the nut to fit between the starter motor and and the mounting tab.
I should  clarify that the nut will just fit but not the nut and the lock
washer. I am  thinking of finding a thinner nut that will fit with the lock
washer. Any  ideas suggestions would be greatly apprciated

Jorge--

Though I used a thin nut  and lock washer when mounting the gear  starters on
the Healeys on the Elva (MGA engine) I went a  different route and had a new
nose piece machined out of aluminum with threads  in the bottom tab which
eliminated the need for the nut.  You might get  away with a helicoil.

Best--Michael Oritt
net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)