[Healeys] re paint question

Carroll A Phillips bjcap at optonline.net
Tue Feb 3 17:29:04 MST 2009

>From my experience on clearcoat is this,(for vintage cars) basecoat requires
a clearcoat, usually metallic paints on our vintage cars cannot be
replicated with out going this modern route. Clearcoating over a single
stage to give depth is the easyway out for the painter not wanting to go the
extra mile for the high gloss depth look ( not correct for our cars anyway)
but most like a really deep shine. For the vintage old enamel look, go
single stage urethane (durability)(also only solid colors) any metallics you
will need base/clear. Remember clearcoats will also over   repeated washes
start to show more haze than a comparible singlestage job. Id rather have
the least amount of material on my car doing its job anyway.

Carroll