[Healeys] Subject: Re: degreaser

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 3 15:22:28 MST 2009

I agree James,

you wrote: ... how about a method to protect not only our own property
(driveway and lawn) but also the environment

When I have a major degreasing job to deal with, I generally lay down
plastic, as James suggests, then lay many layers of newspaper as an
absorbent.  I then scrape off as much as I can with a selection of old putty
knifes (paint scrapers), and then do the final clean with mineral spirits
and a stiff brush.  I then pull the plastic and soiled newspaper out from
under the project and, if I have time and space, and if it is summer (I am
in Canada), I leave the whole mess sit for a while to let the solvent
volatize off.  I try to get the as much of the old greasy grit to the
hazardous waste disposal, but they usually tell me to stick it in the
garbage, from which it unfortunately goes into the landfill.

I also agree with the earlier comment about the Easy Off oven cleaner -
absolutely nasty stuff and very, very hard on the hands if you get any on
you - if you ever use it wear rubber gloves and safety glasses.  The only
application I use it for is getting burned on oil off the chrome pipes on my
Velocette (motorcycle) - with a bit of elbow grease - it is pretty good for
that.

cheers,

Mirek