[Healeys] Gasoline

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sun Feb 1 09:24:43 MST 2009

I would not worry with the old barges we have as long as the octane
rating is OK. Get any petrol you like. Where I live (NL) petrol is
delivered by two refineries to trucks of all oil brands, the major being
Shell, Texaco, BP, Esso and a few smaller brands. These all may or may
not add the so called specific dopes. Very often the same dopes are used
for more than one brand or all brands. One truck load may provide petrol
to stations of several brands.
Also if you take samples from various (high volume) petrol stations of
one and the same brand, these samples are hardly ever identical or even
with the same station a week later the fomulae would be different.
There is no way of knowing.
There is one advise though: get petrol from a high volume station.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

jim brown schreef:
To complicate matters, I just received notice from both Audi and Porsche
recommending only "Top Tier" gasolines. Apparently the regulations that
determined how much detergent had to be added to gasoline to be
considered "premium" has changed. Most gas has only about one fourth of
the previous amount which is leading to clogged injectors in some cars.
Google top tier gasoline for more info. Only a few "brand"names qualify
including Shell and Chevron. Probably little effect on a needle and seat
cars but food for thought. Jim Brown