[Healeys] Start of the Japanese Auto Industry

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 30 00:56:13 MST 2009

G'day

I have had the pleasure of driving both the Honda S600 and S800. Both great
little cars.

In both, the 4-cylinder DOHC engines are jewels and will easily rev to
10,000rpm. At that speed I can't vouch for longevity, but the current Honda
S2000 will do the same and does last.

Both the S600 and S800 (we never got the S500 in Australia) had conventional
4-speed gearboxes, but the S600 was a carryon from Honda's motorcycle
background with twin chain drive to the rear end. The S800 had a normal
driveshaft and solid rear end with semi-eliptics.

I recall one duel we had with a MG Midget and I must say the S800 we were in
was far quicker, but the Midget handled well.

As a matter of interest Honda is one of the few automotive companies that
still has the fingerprints of its founder all over it. Mr Honda's successor
was Mr Kume who arrived in England in 1965 as a motor mechanic to assist Sir
Jack Brabham in his Formula 2 exploits. They had not a word of common
language between them, but Honda engines gave Black Jack the championship.

All the best for 2010.

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia