[Healeys] Start of the Japanese Auto Industry

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Dec 29 02:01:57 MST 2009

Datsun/Nissan started with the assembly of CKD kits from Austin, not the
most advanced automotive design at the time. When they started to build
cars on their own accord they were technically very similar to the
Austin products. I believe that  engines and gearboxes from both makes
were interchangable in the beginning.
However Toyota  produced cars of their own design in the thirties and
there were others.
Do not forget that there were considerable engineering skils well before
the war. They produced some very advanced and feared warplanes and such.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL