[Healeys] Distributors

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Dec 17 23:44:12 MST 2009

Seamingly the distributor can be "off" 60, 120, 180, 240 or 300degrees
depending on how it is fitted. It is hardly possible to fit the shaft
out 180 degrees because the dogs are offset. The main thing is that when
no. 1 piston is on TDC in the compression stroke the rotor is directing
to the plugwire for no. 1 cilinder on the distributor cap and that the
correct firing order (WSM) is adhered to.
It does not matter which way the vacuum capsule is positioned as long as
there is room to set the timing and it does not interfere with other
parts of the engine.
Compression seems to be perfect, considering it is presumably measured
with a cold engine.

The new carbs of course need proper setting and balancing, starting from
the basic position folowing the procedure as written down in the WSM.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL