[Healeys] Harbor Freight Pittman puller - was HF jacks

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Mon Dec 7 09:27:10 MST 2009

I bought the same puller as Richard did a few years back - it's worked fine on at least 3 Healey pittmans (pittmen?) since then. As I recall we sprayed them all with Sili-Kroil first. My BN6 buddy Peter Roses ground a total of about 1/4" off the forks to make it grip the ears on the Healey pittman arm better.

I also broke one of their $3 pickle forks - the one with the 3 interchangeable sizes. Bought a one-piece one there for a few bucks after that which has worked fine several times.

Of course what we're all doing here is proving HF's quality to be spotty over time. But it's also not 100% bad.

With all respect to those who disagree - I agree with Alan re China. I would also say that if my only other choice were to buy a $300 racing jack made here or in Britain - no sale. I have a steel k-mart floor jack that's heavy as hell but works fine, which cost probably $39 20 years ago. Nor would I buy a $70 pittman puller from Snap-On. The sale was made because the price is so inexpensive. There's a market there where none existed before. We can afford to buy a specialized tool like a pittman puller to use once and then loan out to our friends.

FWIW - I also bought one of the $20 angle grinders and will report back if it craps out.

--
Steve Gerow
BN6