[Healeys] Trafficator Movement

Bob Haskell rchaskell at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 04:34:14 MST 2009

Mark,

No adjustment per se.

Watch the stator tube at the front of the steering box as someone turns
the steering wheel.  If the tube rotates, try tightening the nut that
clamps the stator tube to the steering box.

If that's not it,  do you have an adjustable steering wheel?  The
adjustable steering wheel has two stator tubes.  The trafficator
(control head) mounts to the short stator tube with three screws.  At
the other end of the short stator tube, the tube is upset to form three
keys.  The long stator tube (in the steering column) fits inside the
short stator tube and the keys slide in a slot in the long stator tube.
  Any slop with the keys/slot will cause the head to rotate. The long
stator tube is prone to cracking at the end of the slot, which will
increase the slop.

The short stator tube has a plate that the control head mounts to and a
larger plate that gets clamped to the steering wheel by three grub
screws.  Does it take much effort to rotate the large diameter plate?
That would increase the tendency for the trafficator to rotate.  Try
lubricating the spring loaded joint (from the front side) and see if
that helps.

How soon do you want to fix this?  If needed, I can bring a new long
stator tube to Spring Tune-Up at the Manhensmiths in April.  Or it you
want to do it sooner, I could head north some weekend.

Bob