[Healeys] Reamers

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 09:10:20 MST 2009

Curt,

I defer to your experience and knowledge; however, that's what happened to us. The U-bolts were previously untouched as far as we could tell, but when we tried to thread an SAE fine nut the nut jammed between about 3/4" down the thread--yes, we cleaned the threads first, and used new nuts--and when we thread-chased the U-bolt the die jammed in the same locations (both nuts and die ran up fine until then).

I have no explanation, that's just what happened to us (can only surmise the TPI were slightly different). My dad wants to just double-nut the U-bolts--when he's not looking I'll replace them.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Bob,

Absolutely, positively, no doubt in my mind! UNF = SAE Fine and UNC = SAE Coarse. It was set up this way when the British transitioned away from the Whitworth Standard. Now,
.
.
.
And there's more, but I won't go into them since they'll really obscure the issue, but just remember, to be Whitworth they MUST have a 55 degree thread angle.

Cheers,

Curt