[Healeys] Fuel Pump Polarity

Mark Schneider mandmschneider at comcast.net
Mon Aug 31 15:28:15 MDT 2009

Listers,

I just replaced the fuel pump on my BJ8.  I have not converted to
negative ground.  Therefore, I was careful to order a positive ground,
solid state,  SU fuel pump.  I was told by several people that the new
SU pumps are polarity insensitive.  Yes, but, I asked my self, "Why
then does Moss still sell both positive and negative grounded pumps?"
I think I know one answer to the question but was not willing to risk
throwing away the cost of a burned out fuel pump.  The answer to the
question that seems to have run through this string of emails pertains
to the color of the tape on the body of the pumps.  The pumps with red
tape are positive gounded.  Those with black tape are negative
grounded pumps.  These points were made on a small slip of paper in
the SU package.  Those without any tape are anybody's guess.

Marks 3
'66 BJ8