[Healeys] hubs .. splines - autotightening

Al Malin amalin at mac.com
Mon Aug 24 22:47:34 MDT 2009

I'll never forget an incident that happened back in 1963 while my
friend Chip, in his Healey, was following me in my  first Tricarb.

My future wife and I was in the lead with Chip and his date behind me
along with other British sports cars behind them.  We were all headed
for Lake Michigan for a day of fun and sun on the beach.

Everyone was moving along at highway speeds until I saw, in my review
mirror, a tire happily running along side Chip's Healey.  It was the
weirdest sight.  The right rear knockoff had worked itself loose
allowing the wheel to slide off.  Chip calmly slowed the Healey to a
stop while it rode on the break drum.  I don't recall any significant
body damage, if any at all.  The tire was fairly easy to find.  The
knockoff took a lot longer to find in the roadside's grass and weeds.
After finding both we jacked the car up and remounted them on the
hub.  Periodically, for the balance of the trip, he made sure the
knockoff was on good by getting out the hammer and giving the
knockoffs a couple of whacks.

What caused the knockoff to loosen to the point of falling off?  It
turns out Chip had just repaired the differential and during
reassembly he mistakenly reversed the hubs.  He had put the right hub
on the left and vice versa.

Al Malin
Tricarb