[Healeys] Hand brake question

Achim Spethmann achimspethmann at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:27:30 MDT 2009

I just have my hand brake apart for cleaning,adjusting etc.
Now I wonder, if the correct adjusting of the handbrake (after having
adjusted the shoes) is only done by turning the fork, that is attached
to the balance lever, or if I also have to adjust the carrier of the
balance lever, that is attached to the threaded rod of the bracket.
Turning the carrier with his rectangular nut would change the distance
between the balance lever and the rear axle and respectively the
distance between the balance lever and the back plate, especially the
right one, thus influencing the balance between the right and the left
side of the brakes.

Achim, Germany
1964 BJ8 27347